Sunday, July 20, 2008

Again the Magic & Devil in Winter


Reading Julia Quinn the other day has really re-awakened my regency cravings. After The Lost Duke of Wyndham I pulled out the other Quinns I have in my collection. Then I pulled out two of my favorites from Lisa Kleypas.

I have three favorites by Ms. Kleypas and one I have already reviewed here. The two that I pulled out to read this weekend were Again the Magic and Devil In Winter.

Devil In Winter Is the third in her Wallflower series. While the entire series is good this is by far the best book in the series. It opens with the villain in the second book being propositioned by the heroine in a must unlikely manner. The villain is the hero in this book and what a flawed yet romantic hero he is. What drew me to Sebastian, is the same thing that draws me to many of my favorite heros, the layers to his personality, his vulnerability and the way he cares for his love interest. And Sebastian does all of these three things in the first chapter while maintaining his arrogant ways.

LOVE HIM!

In Again the Magic, the reader is introduced to characters that will be in the Wallflower series but years before they come out into their own. So here we have a forbidden love. The tittled aristocratic heiress and the servant boy all fused up with youth and passion. Add and evil duke/father and you have a recipe for angst.

The evil duke has Aline send the hero McKenna away when he finds out about their love. The reader is with Aline as she bargains for his life and tells McKenna that she no longer loves him.

Years pass and McKenna returns for revenge. He is determined to get the one thing from Aline now that he never had before. Yes dear readers I am talking about sex. While McKenna is not the easiest hero to like, Aline is one of the best heroines I have read in a long time. I love how she battles with herself over her feelings for him and the fear she has of intimate relations (not to spoil the book I will not tell you why). The author takes a hold of you and whips you into the emotions and thoughts of this happy couple.

Oh and did I mention that this book has - GASP- a homosexual secondary character AND another love story wrapped up in it? No, well it does and you get all of that for the price of one very good novel.

If you have a hankering for a regency novel or two or three check out these titles. I think you will be pleased. As always, let me know what you think.

No comments: