Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lost Duke of Wyndham

I have stayed away from historicals for awhile now. They used to be my favorite, but the bodice ripping and headstrong virgins got to me and I have pretty much stopped reading them.

I have seen on message boards and review sites this novel by Julia Quinn and once upon a time I had many of her books. Her new novel was getting some good press and from readers and bloggers whose opinion I trusted. So I went out and purchased this one.

I am so glad I did. I found her characters are funny, vulnerable and imperfect and her story line drew me in. Her hero, Jack, is dashing (of course) a bit of a rebel (of course) and a thief gasp. Albeit one with a slight conscience.
He is the son of a lost son and is instantly recognized by his up in years wicked witch, I mean grandmother.

The heroine is the companion of said grandmother and must have vats of patience stored up. The two fall in love, actually he falls in love and convinces Grace that it is love. The current Duke , who is about to be unseated, is a character that I plan to follow. It looks like his story will be coming out shortly.

Stolen moments, a trip across Britain, reuniting with the family that raised Jack and culminating in a scene between Jack and the current Duke (Thomas) where they both sacrifice something tugged at my heart strings.

Now I am not about to go out and start looking for historical novels, but I did pull out two older Quinn novels that I held onto and dove into their story lines. I think I may hold onto this one as well. If you see it in the store pick it up. I think you will like it.

No comments: