Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Hollow

Didn't I read this book before? No It was the Key of Valor book. Or was it Red Lilly? Or was it... Oh what am I saying. It was the second book in a Nora Roberts trilogy. It was standard, formatted, the characters were familiar -because, hey they have been written before- but it was also good!

I bought this book a few weeks ago but kept it in my to be read pile for a while. I just could not seem to get the energy up to read this book that was going to be so much like others I have read. Why did I buy it you ask. Well, how could I not.

In this book three childhood friends battle a great evil. They meet and fall in love with three beautiful women who are an intricate part of this battle. In this book, the hero Fox has all the characteristics of a Roberts hero that I love. Patient, steady, loyal and hot. OK so I could be describing a dog until the hot part but my favorite Roberts heros are the Ethans, the Harpers and the Shawns of her world.

Fox is the steady and level headed friend. He falls for Layla the beautiful New Yorker. While I did not feel the heat in this book between the characters I enjoyed the interaction between Fox's family and the twist with his alternative lifestyle sister. He made my heart grow showing his love and support for his family

A couple of chapters into the book I considered putting it down. Her last three trilogies have not been engaging for me. But I soldiered on and the talented writer that she is quickly caught me up in her story.

I am looking forward to the final installment of this series because I think we may actually see some heat and passion from Gabe and his love interest.

I say read the book if you are looking for mindless and easy. It is a great read if your mind is occupied on something serious and you want to escape, a hospital waiting room, watching the kids at the beach or after paying bills.

No comments: